Port Season! 5 Ways to Use Starboard Batch 88
The air is crisp and the nights are long– It’s officially the perfect time to savor port! In the spirit of the season here are five delicious ways to use Starboard Batch 88, Quady Winery’s most popular port-style wine. Starboard is made similarly to Port made in Portugal. In California, we are on the other side of the world from Portugal, so we call our “port” Starboard, get it? We hope that you enjoy the “Quady Winery Recipes: 5 Ways to Use Starboard Port-style Wine” recipe collection in our cooking and cocktailing with Quady series.
Although Starboard Batch 88 was created for after-dinner sipping, its’ bright bold flavors, acidity, and depth has secured its place in the kitchen and behind the bar. Made in Madera, the San Joaquin Valley of California, Starboard Batch 88 has the bright fruit of ruby style port and the round nutty character of tawny port. These flavors bring an invaluable layer of complexity and new zest to a range of different recipes.
Chicken w/ Tomato Mushroom Starboard Sauce
Fruity raisin-like characteristics found in Starboard Batch 88 partner with savory mushrooms and the bright acidity of tomatoes to create a well-balanced flavor-bursting chicken dish.
4 chicken boneless breast halves (with skin or without)
Salt and pepper to taste
6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbsp butter
1/4 pound of small crimini mushrooms
3 Tbsp finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup Quady Starboard Batch 88
3/4 pound plum tomatoes, cored and quartered, or 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half (about 2 cups)
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Drop garlic into a small saucepan of boiling water, cook for 5 minutes, set aside.
2. Heat butter in a heavy skillet and add chicken pieces. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned on one side, about 1 minute. Turn and cook about 1 minute on the second side.
3. Add mushrooms and cook, turning chicken occasionally, about 2 minutes.
4. Add shallots and the garlic cloves. Add Starboard, tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Transfer chicken and tomatoes to a warm platter. Cook sauce down a minute or two. Pour onto chicken.
Starboard Batch 88 settles nicely with bourbon and Vya Sweet Vermouth in this hearty cocktail. A drink that will last a while and is known to please a crowd of bartenders.
1 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
1 oz. Vya Sweet Vermouth
1.5 oz Quady Starboard Batch 88
Dash of bitters
Combine ingredients and stir well with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Starboard Glazed Walnuts w/ Roquefort
Combined here into a single dish, this traditional pairing of Port-style wine, cheese, and walnuts make the perfect compliment to your dinner parties.
2 1/2 cups walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 Quady Starboard Batch 88
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 bay leaf
One 1-pound wedge of Roquefort cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Arrange the walnuts in a ceramic baking dish. Toast until lightly browned (8- 10 minutes).
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Stir occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the walnuts into the saucepan. Stir.
3. Drain the nuts well with a slotted spoon. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the walnuts on it in a single layer. Bake for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the nuts are mostly dry. Let cool. Separate the nuts.
4. Then warm the syrup over low heat until thick (3 minutes).
5. Place the Roquefort on a serving platter, drizzle the Starboard syrup on top and serve with 3-5 Starboard walnuts.
Port Cobbler Cocktail
The ripe and nutty elements of Starboard Batch 88 combined with the honeyed pear and orange flavors in Essensia balance beautifully with the sweetness of seasonal persimmons in this light and flavorful cobbler.
2.5 oz. Quady Starboard Batch 88
1/3 oz. Essensia
2 oz. Soda Water
¼ oz. Persimmon Syrup*
Build in glass over crushed ice. Add Starboard Batch 88, Essensia, and persimmon syrup. Stir. Top with soda water.
1/2 cup sugar
½ cup water
1 persimmon, cut into 1 cm cubes
Combine over heat. Stir sugar until dissolved. Allow to stew for about 10 minutes. Strain.
Starboard Chocolate Fudge Brownies
Rich, sweet and packed with the chocolate truffle and blackberry-infused flavors of Starboard Batch 88 theses brownies are sure to satisfy your chocolate craving.
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup Quady Starboard Batch 88
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Butter an 8×8 pan, then line with two sheets of parchment paper. Butter the parchment.
2. In a stainless steel bowl, combine the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water. Stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.
3. In a separate, large bowl combine eggs, sugars and vanilla.
4. Whisk in the chocolate mixture and Starboard Batch 88. Gradually add in the flour, cocoa powder and salt and stir until the batter is smooth and has thickened slightly. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Pour into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
2 oz. dark chocolate
1 tsp. butter
2 tsp. Quady Starboard Batch 88
pinch of salt
1. Melt the chocolate in a stainless steel bowl set over simmering water until melted. Whisk together butter, Starboard Batch 88, and salt, until smooth. Pour the Starboard glaze evenly over your warm brownies. Let cool.